Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Loons

It is a lovely, eerie, soul-wrenching sound. Laying in bed as the last dregs of the twilight drain from the sky, the only sound that can be heard are the pair of nesting loons that have made my parents' lake home for the past few years.

I have always loved the haunting song of the loons. Whether it is the call of alarm that sounds so like the laugh that an insane person may emit when nervous, or the unearthly wail of the mating call that wafts plaintively across the lake, the call of the loons is something I have always loved about Minnesota. We don't experience anything like it in Miami.

Last night, after everyone had retired, I lay listening to the loons as I drifted off to sleep and the loons were the first sound I heard this morning. What a relaxing way to bookend a good night's sleep!

Wherever you are today, I hope you greeted this morning as pleasantly!

Don Bergquist - June 01, 2010 - Kensington, Minnesota, USA

No comments: