Sunday, June 20, 2010

630

It is Sunday mid-morning and the GPS reports that there are 630 miles left of my journey.

Saga and I have crossed into Kansas (Oh, god! Kansas! It goes on forever!) and we have stopped to stretch our legs at a rest area around mile marker 430. While walking Saga I noticed a sign describing a statue that commemorated the spirit of the plains. (Really!? I see no statue.)

So Saga and I climbed the hill through the woods to see "The Guardian of the Prairie" statue. I am not really sure what this is supposed to be, but it is an interesting statue, so I took a picture of it.

From the summit of the hill that the statue stands atop, there is a panoramic vista of the surrounding plains. There is an awful lot of flat out there! (The great plains slope slowly up to the feet of the Rockies six hundred fifty miles or so from here.)

At the foot of the statue, there are wildflowers growing and I snap a few pictures of the scenery and the flowers as Saga spends her time sniffing (and peeing on) things that she finds particularly interesting. Someone at the beach referred to this as "checking her pee-mail."

Lovely though it is, I think that it is time for me to get Saga bundled back into her kennel and get heading west. (Kansas will never end if I don't keep moving.)

Wherever you are today, I wish you a lovely day!

Don Bergquist – June 20, 2010 – Somewhere in Eastern Kansas, USA

No comments: