Wednesday, June 09, 2010

It’s A Different World!

No matter where you live, no matter where you started out, one thing is constant: Coming home is always a mixed experience. Sure, you’re glad to see the old sites, to spend time with friends and family, and to soak in the old and familiar. But there are also the downsides of coming home.

For example: You see changes to the place you remember ("Was that park always that small? It used to seem so big!"); There are the things you have forgotten ("That's right! This road doesn't go anywhere."); And there are the things you have intentionally suppressed ("God! People in South Florida can be so darn rude!").

This point was driven home to me as I went to the store yesterday to grab some lunch. I had a craving for a Cuban Sandwich and so I headed off to the local deli counter to acquire a couple. After grabbing a number from the dispenser I stepped to a place a nice respectful distance (about two feet behind) the person at the counter. As the person at the counter finished their transaction, I made to step forward and give my order when this woman and her son barged-up to the counter and started ordering. I cleared my throat to indicate my presence and held-up my number which showed that I was the next to be served. I also to another step forward. She ignored me.

She completed the order for six different, complex sandwiches (each with a confusing list of restrictions, additions, and preparation rules designed to make them almost impossible to make for anybody but a combination advanced chemical engineer and conceptual architect); she then sent her son to go forage around the shop for an impressive list of staples and side-items that she wanted to serve with the sandwiches. Resigned to waiting 'til this person had finished with their order (which seemed to be in a constant state of flux), I took a half-step backward so that I once again gave the person at the counter a bit of respectful privacy. As I took my step backward she seemed to see me for the first time. She took a contemptuous little glance at my number and looked at the display. "Oh, were you next? Too bad. You should have said something." She said, her voice making it clear that there was no way I could have gotten my order first without physically shoving her back to her proper place in line.

She had just finished paying for her order when her son returned for the third time from his foraging with an armload of additional stuff to be added to the growing pile on the counter. As if she hadn't thought she would have to pay for the stuff she had sent her son to round-up, she had put away her wallet. She then had to wait for the clerk to ring-up her order and then she remembered to dig-out her wallet to pay for it.

I seethed as this second transaction for the line jumper was beginning when I heard a second voice behind the counter say "Whose next?" I raised my number and started to take a bit of a step forward when this voice behind me started making an order. If the woman with the brat ahead of me had been rude by jumping into line, ordering from the back of the queue, this was beyond the pall.

Luckily, she only wanted a tub of salad and it was finished quickly. Unfortunately the second person behind the counter disappeared, apparently having dispensed her allotment for the day. When, finally, I got to the counter, I placed my order and waited for the sandwiches to be pressed.

It was here that I noticed that there were other differences between the Deli I was at and the ones I might have visited back at home in Colorado. Not only did they offer Cuban Sandwiches, but the hot foods they served are totally different as well.

Whereas in Denver, the hot foods would include vegetables and sides like corn, potatoes, creamed spinach, and fries, here they had offerings like okra and tomatoes, black-eyed peas, plantains, croquettes, and empanadas.

Rudeness aside, the sandwiches were great! The plantains were such a wonderful sweet-salt balance... Yum! You can't get food like this back in Denver!

Wherever you are today, I hope you can take your place in line to enjoy this lovely morning!

Don Bergquist – June 09, 2010 – St. Petersburg, Florida, USA

Editor’s Note:

The author had a little “help” with this column. Much to the chagrin of the usual contributor of the blog, Saga the Canaan Dog, Smokie the Domestic American Shorthair cat decided to lend a hand, er, a paw, well, a head actually. He feels that his contributions have been pivotal in the creation of this entry and demanded his due credit be given.

-Editor

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just what is it that makes the people of South Florida so rude? Could it be that the retirees from New York and their friends and families who visit from New York spread the rudeness to everyone else or is something other than the New York influence involved.

Anonymous Reader

Unknown said...

Dear Anonymous Deader:

Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog. I could not say what makes some people so rude. I would have guessed the heat... I would never say that New Yorkers are any ruder than people from anywhere else. There's just more of them so you are more apt to notice it.

So, let's go with the heat and humidity.

Thanks again for reading and commenting!

Don

Anonymous said...

OK then - heat and humidity. And I'd like to empathize with you on what you said in another post about online employment applications taking longer than you thought they would. I've had a couple of times myself when I think I'm about done when I press the "Apply" button on a site such as Monster.com and then suddenly instead of seeing "Congratulations,
you have successfully applied" I get sent to the company's website where I am applying to and I have to answer a lot of questions and upload my resume to their site too. And once, after setting up a user name and password to register on the company's website, answering questions, and then uploading my resume, they took me to the page where I could actually apply for the job and they had me upload my resume again (I guess they thought that I'd want to customize it for that particular job).

I'm enjoying reading about your trip. I'm a bit of a fan of road trips myself but haven't been able to do many lately so I'm kind of jealous but I enjoy reading about them.

Anonymous Reader

Unknown said...

Dear Anonymous Deader:

Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog. Yeah, road trips rule! Too bad nobody would pay me to be on one for an extended period!

What would be really cool is to have an RV to pull my hybrid with. I could then stop at almost any time I needed a nap or a meal to sleep or eat (as needed). I could also then get around once I got where I was headed.

I have seen a couple nice smaller-sized RVs that I have coveted as I have been making this road trip. That and a wireless hotspot modem would be the coolest!

Thanks again for reading and commenting!

Don