Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Funeral

What a lovely service, what a thoroughly touching outpouring of love!

Parkers Prairie, Minnesota, my Dad's hometown, and the site of the family homestead, is a town of about 1000 people if the signs at the entrance to town are to be believed. (I think they had to include a large proportion of the livestock to reach that number, though.)

So it was incredibly heartwarming to see how crowded the church was for Diane's funeral. It was standing room only. I would guess that there had to be at least two hundred in attendance.

The eulogy was delivered by a friend of hers who did such a great job. One moment she had us all laughing, the next we were moved to tears. It was a lovely description of my aunt as a friend and as a person. The two things that stick with me from the eulogy the most was her description of how dedicated to her family, my uncle Dick, my cousins, and her grandchildren she was; and how dedicated she was to making sure that the church got a thorough cleaning each Monday, "…just in case it is needed for a funeral or something…"

After the service, we walked down to the cemetery and paid our respects at the graveside. There was then a luncheon served in the senior center, and then the family removed ourselves to the farm to hang-out with Dick, Kristi, Dirk, and the family.

It was a fitting day for the funeral. There was a light rain, I overheard someone say "see. even God is crying today" about the weather. Storm clouds gathered to the south as we drove home and there was a heck of a storm last evening.

Today we will be going to the farm for lunch then each of us will start making our way back home. I am so glad I had the opportunity to see my aunt just a few weeks ago at my parents' big open house they have each spring. I sometimes get busy but try always to remember how important family is.

Wherever you are this weekend, I hope you will take time to spend time with your loved ones!

Don Bergquist – June 26, 2010 – Kensington, Minnesota, USA

No comments: