Friday, October 26, 2007

Insomnia

I cannot believe that I am up and unable to sleep at 01:30 in the morning! I've been sleeping fitfully this evening, which surprises me; when I climbed into bed at ten last night I was dead tired. I had worked all day and then came home to try and finish organizing and packing. I didn't get through it, but around eight thirty I couldn't take any more so I took myself downstairs, made a nice big salad, and headed up to the lounge to watch some television.

Perhaps I am just excited about my upcoming vacation. I am really looking forward to this! It is going to be a blast. I've been reading the tour books and pouring over the maps. I've checked that I have lots of memory cards for my cameras and am all set.

Perhaps I am daunted by the number of things I have left to do before I am ready to go on said vacation. Since we'll be losing the house while I am on vacation, I need to pack my bags for the states before I leave. I cannot leave anything behind at the house, but I['m not taking everything with me to South Africa. I have to go and get a couple shots for my trip. And I have to make sure that Saga is all sorted-out.

Perhaps it is because I have so many things left to do before I can move back home in November. I've got a number of things to do that I cannot do before I get back from South Africa. I've been here long enough that I found it advantageous to open a bank account. I've got to go to the post office and forward my mail back to the states. I've got to make a couple runs down to the charity shops with some stuff that I have here that I do not need to take home with me.

Or perhaps it is just because I am moving back home in November. I cannot believe it! I have been, for all intents and purposes, living here for the past two years. It's funny. Two years ago I wrote in my blog that I could never picture myself living here. All the time, I was. To paraphrase the old aphorism:

Life is what happens while you're too busy to notice.

Wherever you are today(or tonight), I hope you'll take the time to stop and notice what is happening around you! (I'm off to bed to try and get some sleep!)

Don Bergquist - 26 October 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

2 comments:

Hyperspider said...

Don, good luck with all the little "details". Keep up the good spirits, and have fun. ps. I quoted (stole) your "Wherever you are today, I hope you ...." bit in my blog.

Unknown said...

Hey, Mike!

I just returned from a curry and a night at the pub with some friends to see that you have posted a comment to my blog. The tagline that I have been using on my blog is probably not original. I have no idea where I stole it from, but it is fairly certain that I saw it somewhere.
That being said, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so, thanks! I am flattered that you liked it enough to steal it from me!

Now it is nearly 1:30… I've been up for 24-hours. I'm pretty sure I will sleep tonight!

Don