Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Sentry

Who needs a security system? We have a sentry!

As I was leaving the villa yesterday, I noticed that Saga had already assumed her place at the base of the stairs on the first floor watching the Portsmouth road making sure that nothing nefarious was going on.

She will brook no monkey business in her street. (We all know it is Saga's street. She has peed on it!) With Saga around we can all rest easier knowing that no other dogs will be allowed to walk down the road unchallenged. Nobody will be able to roughhouse in that particular way that sets her off. There will be nobody walking past with visible bits of food that look tempting to her. At least there won't be without her telling us all about it!

In this, I think, Saga is as human as most people. She is quite willing to bark and raise a ruckus at even the golden retriever that lives across the road from here in the safety of the villa. But get her into the park at the same time and she is the very picture of the coward.

C'mon, be honest. Who hasn't experienced (in the words of the Roger Waters song) the bravery of being out of range? Ah well, I prefer to think of it not as cowardice but as "self preservation."

I should close this and get into the office. I am flying to Denver for a quick trip tomorrow so today is my last day in the office.

I hope wherever you are today, you fell safe and comforted by your surroundings!

Don Bergquist - 12 April 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: