Tuesday, April 03, 2007

California Suite

Having lived her for the past year, I am reminded of a line in Neil Simon's California Suite. It's the story of five rooms in a California hotel and the people who have come to spend the weekend in them. You get to know the reasons they are there, what little of their back-story is necessary to understand what is going on and see the interactions from a fly on the wall perspective.

One of the couples, the visitors from London Diana Barrie and Sidney Cochran (played by Maggie Smith and Michael Caine), are there to attend the Oscars. Diana has been nominated for a part she played in a movie. While getting dressed for the event, Diana complains that she has no idea what to wear in Hollywood. "We should never have come. I never know how to dress in this bloody country." she complains, " It is so easy to dress in England. You just put on warm clothing."

That's true today! It is certainly not a day in southern California! The temperatures are predicted not to get out of the forties and it is supposed to be spitting down this drizzle all day. Saga refused to go out to the back garden this morning because it was cold and it was wet. I had to push her out the door and then close it behind her until she had gone out and "taken care of business."

The ride to the office is going to be miserable, so I guess I have delayed it as long as I can. I hope that wherever you are today, you'll have a wonderful, sunny, warm day. (As for me, I'm going to pretend I am in California today and perhaps I won't notice the cold and rain.)

Don Bergquist - 03 April 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: