Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Wind, Weight, Whatever

Riding my bike in London is a lot like riding my bike in Colorado. Sure, there are no hills here; that is to say none of any note! But just as those hills in Colorado keep me honest, pedaling all the time - coasting as little as possible - London has the wind that serves the same purpose.

You'd think that after a year of living here I'd learn to accept it as a fact of life and just move on. But it never fails to amaze me how the wind never seems to be at my back be at my back here! I know that it isn't the same for everyone. There are a lot of people in the park and in the paths that I pass going the opposite direction. And it doesn’t seem to matter that I make fairly frequent turns. Shortly after I shift direction, so does the wind!

What gives? I guess I could, if I wanted some entertainment, piss off other riders by finding one who is going the opposite direction of me and once they pass me turn around and follow them for a while so that they have the wind in their face instead of their back.

Oh well, I should probably look at this philosophically. I need the extra work to burn off all the calories from the last couple weeks. Thanksgiving dinner was excellent. My sister really outdid herself with the selection of the menu, variety of the choices and the sheer mass of food that was laid out. Then there was all the stress of trying to get ready to come back on a short notice.

Now that I am back I am trying to lose the weight I know I put back on! (I am not really dreading Weight Watchers weigh-in this week. I know I put on a few pounds. I am just hoping it is not too much of a gain!) And of course, the Christmas party season is getting into full swing. Ah! What challenges life throws our way!

I hope whatever your challenges today, they are ones that, if not easy to cope with, at least present you with pleasant alternatives!

Don Bergquist - 13 December 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: