Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Christmas in the Village

By contrast, the village I live in is much more sedate. It is also far older.

There are a few houses that have decided to decorate, but very few. In the next few days I will make an effort to get out with my cameras and post-up some shots of the decorations around here.

There is a tree in the roundabout on the high street. And most of the businesses that fly flags during the year have replaced the flagpoles in their stanchions with small Christmas trees. It is really quite festive. (…and no mythical characters had to be harmed in the decorating of Thames Ditton!)

Last evening as I left the office I noticed that a few of the houses on Boyle Farm Island (the small residential island in the Thames right behind the office) have festooned the trees on either side of the bridge leading over the slip with colored lanterns.

I can see why the festive decoration with lights started. Although it was only 16:00 when I left to help someone carry a parcel to their car in the car park down by the river, it was full-on dark out! The festive lights do a little to help alleviate the Seasonal Affective Disorder!

Well, that's it for today.

I hope that wherever you are, your season is shaping up to be bright and happy!

Don Bergquist - 20 December 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who are you to call Jesus and the magi mythical!$&*! You must really be some kind of pinko. Glad you are in the UK with the rest of the Liberals terrorist-coddlers.

(First rule of blogging: misinterpert a post then rant about the non-issue.)

Anonymous said...

Well, you got that one right. The "Mythical" characters he was talking about were the ones he discussed in the previous day's entry.

But I guess we can't expect the likes of you to have put together that the intent was to contrast his village with Slough.

What a wanker! What? Are you some kind of inbred hillbilly or something?

(Second rule of blogging, respond in kind, over-react to the personal attack and start a flame war!)

Anonymous said...

Calm down, Guys!

It was a story. The myth is apparently you intelligence!

Unknown said...

Can y'all not just play nice?

Listen! I have posted these comments because I wanted to let people know what kind of comments I was getting. But I am going to have to get a better class of reader if you don't clean-up your act.

I have started moderating comments because I do not want my blog to become a flame war.

I hope you will take the blog in the spirit of the season and enjoy my stories. If, conversely, you are not enjoying my stories, I hope you'll let me know what you are not enjoying about them.

Not that I plan on changing anything, it's just that I am always open to constructive criticism.

Happy Holidays (of your own personal choice) and continued health and happiness in the New Year!

djb

Anonymous said...

See what you've done?

You've gotted Dad mad at us now!

He may have to pull over this blog and put us out!