Sunday, December 17, 2006

Sailing the Thames

Today has been another great day! My friend and I took the boat trip down to Greenwich. It was a nice day on the river. I'm home now and about to head out with Saga to the pub.

There were a few really funny moments on the cruise. (The staff on the boat were a riot with their running commentary.) The best and funniest commentary was when we were passing a building in the docklands.

"That building," The captain said "has housed the likes of …" and here he named a number of minor celebrities that I have no idea even now who they are or what they are famous for. Apparently neither did the rest of the crowd as they remained silent throughout the list.

"The American pop star, Cher," he continued. "used to live in this building too. She moved out about six months ago. She got tired of me pointing out that she lived in that building." He paused a moment for affect and then continued. "She now lives at #7 Esher Road, the Shoals Oxfordshire"

General laughter broke out. The only people I could see who hadn't appreciated it were sitting right in front of me. They were a couple from Florida over on holiday. We had chatted briefly earlier in the cruise when I recognized their accents. "That must be a local reference." She leaned into her husband and said softly.

"No." I said. "It's an address." They looked at me uncomprehending.

"She got mad that he was telling people she lived in that building." I continued. "So he is now giving the address that she has (supposedly) moved to. It's a joke."

She chuckled. A minute later, she leaned in and started explaining it to her husband. She was still trying to explain the humor in it a few minutes later.

We laughed! They were funnier than the joke was! Wherever they are today, I hope she succeeded in explaining it to him.

Wherever you are today, I hope you have something you can laugh at!

Don Bergquist - 17 December 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: