Friday, March 03, 2006

Chinese for Lunch

One of the guys from this office I am temporarily attached to is leaving to take a position at another office so they are having a bon voyage get-together for him at lunch time. It will be nice to get out of the office and do things with the people I work with in a more social setting. It will also be nice because it will give me a chance to have the dish I had for lunch the other day and try and discover its secret!!

Now, I have gone on record as saying that the Chinese food over here is nothing like that which we get back in the states. On the whole, I can take it or leave it. It is unremarkable. But Wednesday when a small group from the office decided to have Chinese take away for lunch I went in with them because I had boatload to get through and had to even forgo the normal lunchtime bike ride around the river.

I ordered a dish called King Prawn with Asparagus in XO sauce. (My mother is rolling in her grave right now. Yes, Mom! I like asparagus - just not canned asparagus!) It was a wonderful dish with a really odd name. It was odd, because so far as I could tell there was no asparagus in it. It was peppers, onions, black mushroom and prawns in a wonderful chili sauce.

I'll be trying it again to day and see what it is like when we eat it in the restaurant. Aside from not having the advertised ingredients, it was quite nice. I was pleasantly surprised! Okay, so not all the Chinese food here is inedible!

I hope today provides you with an opportunity to be pleasantly surprised!

Don Bergquist - 03-March-2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, United Kingdom

Addendum:
The dish I had today at lunch was nothing like the one I had the other day. It was quite nice, it was just not the same thing as the one from Wednesday. Great! Now I am going to have to order all the prawn dishes they offer to see what the dish was that I had at my desk this week!

Oh, what I do in the name of research!

djb

No comments: