Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Promise of Spring

I know that the vernal equinox is still nearly two months away, but the early signs of spring are showing in Bushy Park.


This weekend I rode around the area to see what signs I could see of the end of Winter being on its way. While there were none of the huge expanses of flowers that I remember from last Spring here, it is evident that it will be a good display again this year.

The only bulb flowers that are showing are the snow drops. There are a few patches where the flowers are intense, like this. Mostly, however, the bulbs have sent up their shoots, but they will not set flowers for at least another week.

The weather was excellent for a ride. A bit cold, but not too windy and at least it was dry! Walking through the woodland garden, I can see huge clumps of shoots where the daffodils will be blooming soon. There are not as many obvious crocus shoots, but then, they look so similar to the grass they would be planted in that it is unlikely I would spot them without pretty close examination.

So, I guess I will close this last entry for January with the wish that your day is blooming wherever you happen to be today!

Don Bergquist - 31-January-2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, United Kingdom

No comments: