Friday, January 06, 2006

London at Night

So, I bit the bullet. I headed into London last night and did some night-time photography.

The night was clear and cold. The skies were overcast but not raining. This overcast explains the brown background to all the pictures I took. I spent the first few minutes (about thirty) just getting downtown. Then another half-hour picking a site to set-up and take pictures. I have a picture that I took last time I was here with my old camera of The London Eye. It was okay, but I knew I could do better. So I spent much of an hour getting set-up and getting the shot below. The link above will take you to the pictures I took. There are many that are almost the same. I was playing with the exposure and the focus. The picture below is my favorite one from the session.

The Houses of Parliament are another favorite picture among photographers while in London. I realize that this shot is more-or-less ubiquitous and that everyone who visits London takes this shot so, hey! Who am I to buck the trend?

Again, the pictures at the link are a number of different exposure of the same shot. There are also a number of the clock tower alone. (Big Ben is the bell that rings, not the clock tower. But I am sure that you knew that...)

In all, I was downtown for a couple hours. I would have stayed longer but I really had no plan when I set-out and it was getting pretty cold last night so I headed back home on the most crowded train I believe I have ever been on. There were not even any straps left so I was left to press a hand against the ceiling and hope for the best.

I hope wherever you are, your day is filled with pleasant experiences.

Don Bergquist - 06-January-2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, United Kingdom

No comments: