Wednesday, February 01, 2006

An Early Spring in the Wilderness

In my continuing search for signs of spring, I went to Hampton Court Palace with my cameras. The Wilderness, the informal gardens to the north of the palace, have had all their lawns underplanted with bulbs for daffodils, crocuses, and snowdrops. In the spring they quite literally explode with colors, blues, whites, pinks, purples and Yellows. It is quite remarkable! I was glad to see that there are some of the signs that it will be a spectacular Spring in The Wilderness this year!


The trees have started to blossom, the crocuses are starting to show their heads, there are a few small patches of snowdrops. Yes, it will probably be a colorful Spring.

This is what I need. It has been pretty cold here in Surrey for the past few days. The worst part, however, is the wet. With the return of the work week, the weather has turned wet again.

I can deal with the cold and the wet, as long as we get the spectacular weekends we have had for the last couple weeks. It does seem colder and more miserable when it is cold and wet together. When I was in New Mexico, the catch-phrase used to be "But it is a dry heat..."Meaning, sure - the temperatures are hovering around 120-degrees, but at least it is not muggy! Here it is just the opposite, when it is cold, it is also damp and so one is left feeling the cold through the layers.

I guess this is why people here are always looking forward to the coming of Spring.


Wherever you are today I hope that there are signs of Spring to brighten your day!

Don Bergquist - 01-February-2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, United Kingdom

No comments: