Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Mid-Life Crisis

There's an old joke that it is better to be a man than a women. You see, when women go through "the change" they got hot flashes and mood swings when men go through the change, they get sports cars and young girlfriends. I though of this old joke yesterday on my way home from the office because driving down Hampton avenue on my way home I was passed by a bright red Mustang convertible. It was being driven by a guy with a silver-gray Mohawk.

Now, seeing a Mohawk on a guy around here is not all that unusual, and the color threw me for a second... I barely noticed the driver (I still miss my convertible and tend to notice them when they pass me.) so when he passed and I did notice the hair and the gray is actually what I noticed. It is the same gray that my dad has on his head; a vibrant silvery-gray. (To be honest, it is the same gray that my hair is turning.)

But a gray Mohawk? Why would any kid make such a fashion statement? What would that statement be? "I already wear my pants sagging so now I want to complete the look of being old so I have dyed my hair gray?" (Dad, your were a fashion plate way before your time!)

But at the next light, when I caught-up with the bright, shiny, red convertible, I looked over, admiring the car. Then I took another look at the driver. He obviously earned the gray hair. (Even if only by living the seventy-years he looked like he had under his belt.)

So what else was I to conclude... This is a man going through Male Menopause. I'd bet that when he has a seat cover in the passenger seat, she is half his age! When I am his age, I hope I can do as well.

Wherever you are today, I hope that your life is flashy!

Don Bergquist - May 06, 2008 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

1 comment:

Unknown said...

An astute reader from Illinois (there's no noise in Illinois as my mother always used to say…) pointed out that while MS Word is really good at catching words that are actually misspelled, it is not so great at picking out the difference between homophones. I've made one small correction: the man's Mohawk dyed not died. Oops!

I had thought of claiming it was a sort of "spot the error" contest, but the errors in my text are so rife that I would have a winner ever minute or so. Instead, thanks to you, the readers, who keep me (well, if not exactly honest, at least) grammatically correct.

I'm going to have to have a little talk with my proofreader. I guess I'll have to get a proofreader first, though!

djb