Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Corn Moon

Being a Tuesday night in Kensington, there is nothing better to do than to go into the town hall and play cards. Whist is the game for a Tuesday night. In the late fall and the winter there are far more people than were there last night, but there were enough people to have three tables going so we had a good night of cards.

Afterward, while driving home, I noticed the full moon rising over the lake across the highway from my parents' place. I am not ecstatic about the way that the shot turned out, but I plan to go back tonight (when I don't have my parents waiting in the car, and spend more time trying to get a better image.

The name "The Corn Moon" (also called the planter's moon, the flower moon or the milk moon) comes from the fact that this is the time the farmers are out in the fields planting corn. (That would also be the reason the crowd at the community center was not as big as it could have been.) The golden sheen to the moon comes from the dust and pollen in the air from the plants budding and the equipment in the fields. Lovely colors in the sky and horrible things in my sinuses both come from this affect.

Getting to see such a lovely moon almost makes up for the fact that I came in dead last at the card game last night, but then most of these people have played longer and more often than I have. The point is that it was a lovely night and I had a good time with my folks.

Wherever you are today, I hope that you have a wonderful day in store for you!

Don Bergquist - May 21, 2008 - Kensington, Minnesota, USA

Editor's Note:

My father insists that I inform you, my dear readers, that He came in with the high score of the evening. At 57 points for the eight rounds, he scored more than twice my pathethic 21.

-editor

No comments: