Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Where Does the Time Go?

It seems that we were just toasting the arrival of the New Year and now it is already time to celebrate the vernal equinox. It is pretty cool to pay attention to the shadow clock on my desk and watch the solar terminator go slowly from the peak to the trough of a sine wave on the Mercator Projection map of the world. Today, there are two terminators. Both running vertically across the map. I suppose had I looked at it at the right time, there would have been only one and half the map would have been lit, the other half dark
The days have been getting noticeably longer for a while now here in London. I am no longer riding to work in the dark each morning. The sun rises around 06:00 and, unless it is raining - or really overcast, I don't even turn-on my lights to ride to the office any longer. Pretty soon it will be late night rides home from the pub without lights!

Oh, I know, I will soon be complaining about how warm it is here and how there is no air-conditioning here, but the long days almost make-up for it all. Now if I could only do something about the allergies!

I hope that wherever you are today, you have a great equinox!

Don Bergquist - 21 March 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: