Monday, March 12, 2007

Back Into The Swing Of Things

I wish I had known that Virgin Atlantic was planning on using about a thousand layers of cling film "for my security and protection" when I checked my bags back in South Africa. One of the first rules of travel that I learned was that it is a good idea to dress for your destination when you leave for the airport.

The problem is that I left for the airport from MNET and then after a day where I knew I would be walking between the two campuses they have (that are about two blocks apart). This when it was 32 degrees out… (Celsius - that's about 90 Fahrenheit) I arrived at the airport wearing what I had worn to the client's that morning; jeans, sandals and an aloha shirt.

Planning ahead Friday morning, I packed a warm, long-sleeve shirt, the sweatshirt I had worn to the airport a couple weeks earlier, and a pair of closed shoes in the large, outside pocket of my case. Seeing it in twenty pounds of saran wrap made it apparent that I was not getting into it until I got a knife.

The driver, seeing me come off the plane looking more like I was arriving in Honolulu than in London, welcomed me back and asked where I had been. Luckily, it was fairly warm. I added a light jacket to the outfit when I got home to ride over to East Molesey to get Saga. She jumped at me and gave me tons of loving.

Saturday night, I went to the pub with Terry and Angie for beers and then out for a curry. Sunday was pretty much a quiet day with Saga at home; she and I assuring each other that neither was going anywhere. She followed me to the laundry room every time I went down to do another load.

Today, it is back to the office and back to the job. Ah! Normalcy has been restored!

I hope wherever you are today, you've had a great weekend!

Don Bergquist - 12 March 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: