Friday, March 02, 2007

Weekend Plans

If you've been reading my blog for any length of time you're probably ducking for cover and yelling "No! You crazy idiot! Don't make plans!" And you're probably right to do so, but my colleague and I made weekend plans.

Since whenever I make plans, they go horribly awry, I should learn. But I am only human and as Dave Barry points out in The Only Travel Guide You'll Ever Need by Dave Barry "Mankind is far to stupid to be put off tourism by a few million years of bad travel experiences!"

Mark, my colleague from the states and I started the day by getting our hair sprayed. It's a Cancer Awareness day here in South Africa. Everywhere there are businesses offering to shave heads for people who want to show solidarity with Cancer Survivors. For those not willing to go bald, there is the option to spray your head with obnoxious colors.

I opted for the later as it has taken me far too long to get my hair to a length I actually like. Besides, head shaving reminds me too much of the short, short, short (!) haircuts mom used to give us boys each week when we were kids, so nah! I don't think so!

MNET (my client here in South Africa) was doing this at the location I am working at so Mark and I volunteered. Mark originally said he was going to get scalped. But opted for this lovely skunk coloration instead! I sat down wanting a few gray streaks (I've been gray before, I can be gray again) but no! The woman spraying me said "Trust me!"

What could I do? She was a client! I trusted. I got this chic silver coloration with the hot pink fringe around the bottom. Oh and of course, I got the hot pink MNET "m" sprayed on the back.

Anyway, during lunch, Mark and I decided on the Cradle of Humankind as our target for our one weekend in South Africa so tomorrow morning, we'll be getting a car delivered to our hotel and we're striking out to go north to Muldersrift. From there we will explore the area where the oldest evidence of human activity has been found.

Exactly what we'll do, I don't even want to plan. I would like to see an wildlife refuge, but again, I'm not crazy enough to advertise all my plans. I do learn you see! I know what happens when I make plans!

For now, all I am willing to say, is that I think this weekend will be one to blog about!

I hope that wherever you are today, you're making big plans for your weekend!

Don Bergquist - 02 March 2007 - Randberg, South Africa

No comments: