Saturday, March 03, 2007

The Cradle of Humankind

It's nearly midnight and I am writing my blog this evening from the cradle of humanity. It is a bit mind-boggling to thing that where I sleep tonight humans have been sleeping for eons; longer then any place on the planet!

Not the Bed and Breakfast, of course, I mean the area. This area of Gauteng is referred to as The Cradle of Humankind. According to the information at the interpretive center at Maropeng, more and older fossils of our ancestors have been found here than anywhere on Earth.

Maropeng visitor and conference center was an interesting experience. They have a number of exhibits discussing the development of the continents as they currently stand through the actions of plate tectonics and the development of Homo Sapiens as the predominant intelligent life form through our development and use of intelligence, language, and tools. It was interesting.

My colleague and I made the short drive up here to Muldersdrift (about 45 minutes from Randberg) early this afternoon and checked into the B & B we're staying in. We then consulted with the owner and the maps and set our itinerary. A short drive through the area and a visit to Maropeng, some touristy activities (we raced each other on a go-cart track), and an attempt at a little shopping.

I say "attempt" because we were not aware of the incredibly restrictive labor laws here that make it necessary for most stores here to close by 16:00 on Saturdays. We arrived at (what appeared t be) a major mall at around five and discovered that every store was, in fact, already closed. We later learned that labor and benefits laws make it cost prohibitive to stay open later on weekends.

This evening we had a wonderful meal t a lovely restaurant off-the-beaten track called The Post and Rail. I will say this: they love their chutney here! My steak came sitting on a bed of cranberry chutney even though there was no mention of it on the menu. No problem. I scraped it to the side of the plate and enjoyed the otherwise excellent steak! And at the depreciation of the rand, the entire meal cost us about ten pounds sterling or about $20.00!

I should, right now be at a party in Hampton Court at the King's Arms. I am missing Angie's Party, But I purchased a gin single yesterday at a bottle store and have a can of tonic so I'm bout to mix it up, head out to se if the clouds have broken so I can see the eclipse, toast Angie's Birthday and then head off to bed.

It's been a long day and tomorrow is another big day! We're headed up to Pilanesberg National Park and Sun City.

I hope that wherever you are today, you're enjoying your weekend!

Don Bergquist - 03 March 2007 - Muldersdrift, Gauteng, South Africa

No comments: