Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Price Of Beer

Well, ale, actually...

Okay, this is a totally odd thing to be thinking of at six o'clock on a Tuesday morning, but while I was drinking my coffee out of the British pint mug that I brought back with me it occurred to me: Now that I have found a supplier of British Ales over here, it is off that it works out to be cheaper here than it was back there!

Let's think… in the pub you'd pay nearly £3 for a pint… that's about six dollars. But let's to apples to apples. You can buy a four-pack of Tanglefoor at Sainsbury's for about £7 (as I recall) and that means that you're paying 9p or about 18¢ per ounce of beer. (Remember: A British Pint is 20 fluid ounces as opposed to the imperial pints we use here in the states that are only 16 fluid ounces.)

Now for the party this past weekend, I spent about $9 for a six pack. We have to do a number of gyrations, but once you take into account that you're looking at six 12 ounce bottles rather than four 20 ounce bottles, the price per ounce still works out at a savings.

Doing the math, I about paid 13¢ per fluid ounce of beer here (about 6p) as opposed to the 18¢ I paid there! Granted, this is London Pride, ESB, and Old Speckled Hen and not Tanglefoot, but these are not bad ales… And second choice is better than nothing!

I wonder why it's cheaper here than there. Odd, interesting, but not getting me to work... I had better dash.

Wherever you are today, I hope you discover something that interests you today.

Don Bergquist – October 21, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: