Sunday, October 05, 2008

The Grind

The weather this morning is a bit oppressive. Overcast, and raining. I awoke a bit ago to the sound of thunder. I don't have long to write because I have lots to do before leaving for home...

What a wonderful day yesterday was! We could not have asked for any better weather for the horseradish grind. We had a big group. Some playing cards, some setting-out the lunch, some cleaning the roots, the rest of us peeling them and getting them ready for the grind.

We had to dig a few more roots, but then we all set to the tables and started in on the cleaning and scraping. As always, we spent the morning passing the buckets around, sharing stories, catching-up on the news, that sort of thing. Periodically, the bottle of Peppermint Schnapps would make it around the table. It is a great way to pass a beautiful weekend day; chatting, laughing, drinking with family and friends!

Charles (my baby brother) made it up late and joined us at the end of the process. Just in time for lunch. My Uncle Dick brought his outdoor fryer and made a mess of kettle chips (sliced by my food processor) and alligator (supplied by Mary). We had a huge feed... even my little cousins liked the gator!

Afterward there were the obligatory card games, the stories of the old times, the photo sessions and the inevitable Minnesota Long Good Bye. After the last of the guests had departed, I packed what I could into the trunk and headed into town with Charles and Eric (my nephew). Eric wanted to go swimming and his daddy was not feeling up to it so it was Unka Don to the rescue!

This morning is going to be another busy one. It is Chip's birthday so we're all going into town. We're going to go swimming and then have brunch with Chip before each of us heading our separate ways. Charles, Eric, and Mary off to the cities, Saga and me off to the mountains.

Wherever you are today, I hope you are with the ones you love!

Don Bergquist - October 05, 2008 - Kensington, Minnesota, USA

No comments: