Saturday, October 04, 2008

Diggin' It

Digging! It all starts with the digging!

Friday started with a nice, pleasant morning at ad and Flo's house, a few hands of cards, the chance to do a bit of writing, a little cleaning and then it was off to the family homestead in Parkers Prairie to meet up with my aunt and uncle to go dig horseradish roots.

After a pleasant visit while waiting for my cousin to join us, we headed off to the edge of one of the corn fields nearby. There were patches of horseradish growing along the margin of the field and after an hour-or-so of digging, we had a couple pails of roots to be cleaned and converted into prepared horseradish.

After that it was back to the farm to clean-up and get ready for dinner. We had dinner at the Parkers Prairie Volunteer Fire Department dinner. They had a Spaghetti Dinner as a fund raiser. It was really good sauce! After dinner, Mary and I stopped off at my uncle's car wash where I got the car cleaned... it really needed it! And then we stopped off at the cemetery to visit mom's grave on the way home.

Today, there is a bit of prep work to do and I have to run into town to get a few things before people start getting here to prepare the horseradish. Luckily, we had all those lovely Belgian waffles for breakfast! Yum!

But I am being told that I have a deadline. I will not get the chance to load this up to the Internet before i head out... I guess I will have to post it tonight.

Wherever you are today, I hope you're having a lovely day!

Don Bergquist - October 04, 2008 - Kensington, Minnesota, USA

Editor's Note:


I do not have the pictures with me for this posting... I'll update this posting when my dad forwards the pictures I left behind.

djb

No comments: