Monday, October 20, 2008

Indian Summer

Most of the online sources I have checked agree that an "Indian Summer" is a "spell of warm weather after the first frost," and that the phrase originated some time in the late eighteenth century. Apparently, the phrase is derived from the fact that the first recorded instances of "Indian Summer" in the US occurred in the areas that the indigenous peoples (American Indians) inhabited.

I also found articles pointing out that while "Indian Summer" is chiefly an American term, the British also refer to this affect as "St. Luke's Summer," "All-Hallows Summer," or "Little Summer." (Though I do not remember hearing it called this while I was living abroad… but then, I don't remember us having an Indian Summer any of the Autumns I was there.)

But whatever you call it, if you were in Denver this weekend you'd have to call it "Beautiful!" The temperatures were up around seventy five degrees (23.9c), the sun was shining, the skies (while a little hazy) were blue and calm. It was a lovely weekend for running errands, exploring the park with Saga, and riding my bike.

While I spend a good portion of Saturday getting ready for my Game Night, I did get a chance to get out and enjoy the day yesterday; taking a book down to a nice shady spot where the only sound was the babbling of Bear Creek and the occasional chatter of a jogger or horseback rider. What a relaxing way to recharge one's batteries!

But now it is Monday morning. The high temperature today is slated to struggle to get out of the fifties; they skies are apparently overcast (there were no stars visible as Saga and I walked this morning), and the wind has picked-up a bit. It will be a good day to get to work and get a lot done. But that calls for me to get on the road, so…

Wherever you are today, I hope that your day is as lovely as can be.

Don Bergquist – October 20, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: