Tuesday, June 05, 2007

What A Difference A Day Makes

Oh my! I have no idea what kicked me in the head yesterday but my allergies were really horrible yesterday! My medications stopped working altogether and my sinuses throbbed with the pressure of the congestion.

I made it into the office, but because of the pain and the constant running of the nose and throbbing in my head I could not concentrate and could not effectively get anything done. My allergies have kicked me this hard only once or twice before and the only thing that has helped was an injection of cortisone from my allergist.

Knowing this, I made an appointment with a local physician here in Surrey and asked for the steroid treatment for my ills. The doctor was impressed by the nature and number of antihistamines (I am on a course of four antihistamines from my allergist) that I take and said that she could not understand why yesterday should have been a special case. I explained the nature and intensity of the symptoms had just exploded!

In our discussions, she agreed that it was time to try the steroid course. Unfortunately, they do not give cortisone injections here. They feel that they are not as easily controllable. Instead I was given a course of tablets to take over the next week. God! What a difference!

I still have my allergies and they still are present. (That will not change without either totally eliminating the pollens I am reacting to or going through the desensitization procedures that I have heard can be somewhat effective.) But today my eyes have stopped burning, my head has cleared-up somewhat, and I feel I am able to get work done today.

I am not sure if it is the addition of the hormones, the fact that I was so zonked that I slept an additional eight hours yesterday, or a combination of the two. What ever it is, I feel great today!

Wherever you are today, I hope you're feeling well!

Don Bergquist - 05 June 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: