Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I'm A Clothes Horse

This fashionable outfit came from the little girl who comes into the pub with her mummy and daddy. She arrived wearing it but decided that she wasn't cold and took it off, allowing it to fall to the ground. Apparently, Jennifer hasn’t learned that a jumper is a piece of clothing that a child puts on when its mother gets cold...

"It's not my jumper!" she said, crossing her arms, pouting, and shivering just the slightest bit.

"Put it on, anyway, Jennifer." I said. "You look like you're a little cold.

"I am not cold!" she said with a flip of the head. "It must be your jumper. You put it on!"

I held-up the small, pink garment as if appraising it's size. "You're right!"

I held-up the little arm of the jumper and slipped it over my wrist like a bulky, pink bracelet. I could have worn the whole garment as a pair of handcuffs. "Ah! That is so warm.

"That's not how you wear it!" Jennifer said. "You've got to put on the hood."

I slipped off the jersey material handcuffs and put the hood over my head. The rest of the material barely covered my shoulders. "Ah! Toasty! You suckers have to shiver in the cold."

"I'm not cold!" she protested again, her lip looking like the prow of an ocean liner.

She sat at the table sneaking looks at me and giggling. She did eventually give in and put on the jumper. Her mother was happy that she had put back on her jumper.

Wherever you are today, I hope that you do something to make your mother happy!

Don Bergquist - 26 June 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: