Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Panic Attack

The other evening, I had a horrible experience. The landlord had been by The Villa to fix the gate to the back garden which had been hanging loosely on one hinge. Unfortunately, when he completed the work, he didn't completely close the gate.

He pulled it to, but didn't latch it securely. While the gate was not in proper working order, I had gotten into the practice of looking at the gate to see that it was closed before going into the house and allowing Saga to go out into the garden. With one hinge coming off, the gate would not swing without being picked-up.

Since it was fixed, it stays closed unless you put force against it one way or the other. Saga, being enthralled with barking at the Scotty across the street, never misses the opportunity. How she knew that the Scotty was being walked is beyond me. I was in the lounge, reading when I heard the barking. The neighbors who own the Scotty suddenly looked over at The Villa with concern and When I realized that Saga had somehow gotten out of the garden I freaked!

I ran to the window and saw her standing on the walk in front of the house with her hackles up. Unfortunately, she was smart enough to figure-out how to open the gate once it was ajar. Fortunately, she was also smart enough to see the road as a hazard and stay on the pavement. Even so, I called out the window in panic for her to come here.

She just looked at me as if to say "How am I meant to do that? I have no keys!"

She did, however, obey and trot back to the house and stand in the kitchen door well waiting for me to run down the stairs and let her in. I've taken to stepping out the front door and pushing against the gate to make sure that it is securely latched these days. That last call was too close for comfort!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you've had no unpleasant surprises.

Don Bergquist - 12 June 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: