Saturday, June 23, 2007

Riding

The rains of the past few days have left the air relatively clean. For the first time in weeks, I haven't needed an allergy pill. The flowers are still in bloom and the city is lovely this time of year!

What a great day for a ride! I rode around the neighborhood this morning and then decided that I wanted to ride around in Central London. So, I headed into Surbiton, got the 07:30 train into Waterloo and I was off.

The decision then was where to ride to. Having never been to Battersea, I decided to try and head that way and by dint of following the posted signs directing me to the appropriate bike route, I found myself completely baffled as to where I was. I think I was somewhere near Elephant and Castle. So I bumbled around a bit and finally found my way back to Waterloo, then I took a route I was fairly familiar of. I went to Greenwich. At the farthest point into my ride, approximately six miles from the station, the skies opened and it poured.

Knowing of no overpasses in that part of the city, I looked for a bus shelter. Not finding one, I turned and started my return ride. Luckily, the downpour ended as suddenly as it began. As is shut-off by a tap, the rain stopped. I finished my ride and took the train back to Surbiton.

I did get caught one more time just before getting back to the villa. When I returned home, I took a long, hot shower, got dry and did a bit of housework.

This evening I am headed into the pub with Saga and some friends. For the rest of the afternoon, though, I believe I will just relax and read. I may even take a nap. The possibilities are rife.

Wherever you are today, I hope you are faced with choices as pleasant!

Don Bergquist - 23 June 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: