Monday, September 29, 2008

Driving East

The wonderful thing about making a plan for a vacation is knowing that you don't actually have to follow it. I mean, I have so many plans that I've made and that have been thrust upon me that I have to follow at work, it's nice to be able to toss the entire plan out the window as I am driving...

Well, figuratively - doing so literally would be littering and I hate that!

So, when the plan called for me packing the car before I went to bed last night, and then getting up at butt-ugly o'clock this morning and driving to Minnesota by nightfall, it was just nice knowing that any or all of those points were negotiable.

Like the "packing the car" part... that's needlessly anal-retentive for a vacation so let's just scrap that. And that whole early concept... what if I want to sleep in, for instance, it is my vacation! I should be allowed a little lie-in if I want one.

And what if I want to, say, take the long way to Minnesota and see the Black Hills? I haven't been to the Black Hills and the Badlands in years! Is it too much to ask for me to be able to be flexible with my itinerary?
I don't think so. That is why I scrapped the entire plan. That is why I am nighting over in a lovely little motel here in Murdo, South Dakota. That is why I am thoroughly relaxed and enjoying the road trip! And since I will not arrive until tomorrow, I've already called ahead and let my folks know to expect me some time tomorrow afternoon.

What a great way to enjoy a vacation! I'm off to bed now. I'll post this when I get to an Internet connection.

Wherever you are today, I hope you've had a great weekend!

Don Bergquist - September 29, 2008 - Murdo, South Dakota, USA

No comments: