Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Break From Politics

Mornings are getting later and chillier. You can tell that fall is in the air, Saga shows less interest in getting up and going out as the weather gets colder. I have long held the belief that she blames me personally whenever the weather turns cold or wet. You can see it in her eyes.

The other morning, as the rain was falling and the air was a chilly 40-degrees, Saga lay sprawled on the duvet and disheveled bedclothes when I returned to the bedroom after finishing my morning ablutions. She barely stirred as I made my way around the room dressing for work.

Grudgingly, she shifted slightly as I sat down to put on my shoes. But when I said those (usually) magic words: "Hey, Little Bit! You want to go out?" her response was far from the eagre action I am used to seeing. She simply turned, looked over her shoulder, out the dark window at the falling rain. (It would have been absolutely perfect if lightening had flashed just then.) Having thus maid the point "It's cold and wet outside, you moron!" she turned back to the important job of making sure that the bedding didn't get cold.

I know what she feels though. In truth, as the mornings get colder and darker, I often wonder why I can't just give myself "five more minutes." But then, five becomes ten; ten becomes twenty... and that is why I can't stay in bed. That is what weekends are for... C'mon Saturday!

Wherever you are this morning, I hope you will have a lovely morning and a beautiful day!

Don Bergquist - September 17, 2008 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: