Monday, December 10, 2007

Trade-Offs

It’s the little things you miss. While in the UK it was root beer and Triscuits. Here I miss the availability of lamb and curry spices in the grocery store. Last night I did the shopping at the local King Soopers.

There were a few things that I needed that I didn’t have so I decided to brave the side roads and go out. The snow had mostly melted and it was nice to get out of the house. While perusing the aisles, there were a number of things that I noticed that I hadn’t known about two years ago that I now wish they had at the local grocer.

The mere profusion of beans available in the UK is just staggering. Here I have the choice between pintos, navy, lima, and chickpeas. Oh well, I guess I can get over the lack of lamb and beans for the ability to drive my car when ever I want (provided it isn’t snowy out) and being so near the mountains. I do wish there was a pub here though!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you find whatever you’re looking for!

Don Bergquist – December 10, 2007 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

2 comments:

Alpen Schatz said...

Hello Fello Brit-Lover!

Now you are going through the "withdrawl" symptoms that I have been going through for years! : )

I, too miss the Curry...but more in the line of Tandoori Chicken. Also cheese & Pickle...Ribena, True Sultana/Fruit Scones, Tea made properly, not too brewed and with cold milk first poured into the cup.

There are a number of Web-sites in the US, where they have imported British food products for sale. This one is posted on my Christmas Wish List www.britishfoodshop.com and has all sorts of British delectables...albeit a little pricey compared to shopping at Tescos!

Sorry, I missed you in England on my last trip! Hope you had a good time in South Africa.

Mary Dawn

Unknown said...

Mary Dawn,

Ribena! Oh, and toffee yogurt! They have great yogurt flavors over there!

As I was told repeatedly when I was there, I have been anglicized. I was not sure what that meant whilst I was there. Perhaps it meant that I liked to queue for things, perhaps it meant that I liked to complain about the weather, perhaps it meant I liked to queue to complain about the weather.

No, what it meant was that I had really gone native. I developed a taste for curry and the respect for the country that so kindly hosted me for the past two (and some) years. I miss my friends from the UK, the pubs, everything! (well, except some of the more wankerish drivers perhaps…)

Thanks for the link. I’ll check it out. There is a British grocery story not too far from my house, actually… they sell marmite and Coleman’s English mustard. They also import Irish butter and English sausages and bacon! It has been a while since I have been in there (or needed to be) but I may have to make the occasional visit to it.

Well have a great day, my fellow anglophile!

Happy holidays!

djb