Monday, December 31, 2007

Holiday Greetings To All My Friends And Family!

For the last day of 2007, I thought I would recap the year and share my christmas letter.

It started in the United Kingdom where I was launching on the second year of a five-week business trip. It was a good time! I met lots of great people, made some good friends, did some amazing things, and have wonderful memories.

In January, Saga got her chance to beg from new people at the pub. She had joined me in the UK in December and really took to the whole pub culture. Usually, she would beg when Daddy wasn’t watching, but occasionally…

In February, I took off for the weekend of my birthday and went to Amsterdam for the first time.

Well, technically, it was my fourth time. In 2006 I had put some air miles onto my Northwest Airlines frequent flyer account by taking a quick flight to Copenhagen (connecting through Amsterdam both ways), and another weekend I went to Amsterdam, but as the point was to get air miles and not actually to do any sightseeing I bought the cheapest tickets I could get. In short, I had only about nine hours in Amsterdam and I was staying an hour train trip out of Amsterdam.

So my first official visit was this February, it was great! I really had fun! Anyone who wants to know what I have done, please see my blog for a detailed travelogue.

In March, I made my first trip to South Africa. A colleague of mine had to leave a trip he was doing early and so, being half-way there (compared to Denver) they asked me to go out to Johannesburg to complete the trip.

April was a lovely month in London! The fun fairs started for the year, the spring flowers were at their peak and the weather turned absolutely lovely! I spent lots of time riding my bike. Oh, yes, and allergy season started with a vengeance.

May was a month of Graduations. My best friend’s daughter, Charlotte Karrer and my nephew, Andrew Bergquist both graduated from high school in the same week in May. I was able to fly back to Florida and drive to Alabama to see (and photograph) both graduations.

June was a wet month in Thames Ditton. There was rain, rain, rain. At least it was green! Not a lot to report. Very few bike rides, no travel to speak of.

The rain continued to fall in abundance in July. But the wet weather could not dampen the spirits at Molesey Regatta, though. The actual races were rained-out but the lunch and good times were not to be stopped by a little thing like rain!

My friends Fritz and Janine came over to the UK for a visit in August and I got to play tour guide. It was fun seeing some of the places I had not gotten to, and taking them to some of my favorite places. Of course, there was a pub or two on the itinerary. My friends in Surrey got to meet some of my friends from the states.

Terry and Angie threw a barbecue at their house. It was a great time!

In September, I was far too busy at work, trying to suss-out whether I was staying in the UK or going home to do much of anything else. I did get to go see a game of cricket (my first) at Bushy Park. It was a charity game between the Police and the grounds crew at the park. I never realized how dangerous a game it is. There were three injuries in the first side.

October was my last full month at the Thames Ditton Office. I discovered that my assignment to the UK was truly going to end (this time) and that I would be returning with Saga to the States when the assignment ended.






November was a great time! My friends from the UK and I went on holiday to South Africa. The brief visit to Johannesburg in March not withstanding, this was my first real visit to South Africa. Again, please see my blog for stories of our adventures in South Africa.

December has been manic, it is amazing how much there is to do when you have left your house empty for two years. Luckily, I have a friends who checked-up on my place for me periodically.

There’s not much to tell about my family over the last year. At least not a lot I can tell you first-hand. All are well.

Dad had a stroke in October but he has made and is making a remarkable recovery. I drove home to Minnesota to spend the holidays with family. It was a good time and fun to see all my relatives again. Even the weather cooperated, though I had to duck between the two blizards to get back to Denver on Boxing Day!

I hope that this holiday season is a great one for you and your family!

Wherever you are today, I hope your 2007 has been a wonderful one and I wish you an even better 2008!

Happy New Year!

Don Bergquist - December 31, 2007 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: