Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Internet

It is amazing how quickly one becomes jaded. But is it really my fault that I have grown so accustomed to the internet speeds that I get from my DSL? Is the direct internet point-of-presence speed that enjoy at the office really too much to ask for? Who is to blame for this impatience I feel? I blame Bill Gates.

Well, perhaps not Bill personally, but the whole class of person who sees a technology and decides it has to be better. It is possibly apocryphal but I have heard the anecdote that Bill Gates once asked why anyone would ever want more than 256k of memory in a personal computer. The answer, of course, it that we need it because the software that Microsoft and others create requires it.

Likewise, there was a time when the 256k modem I am communicating to the internet this morning over would have been more than sufficient to do anything I need to do. But this morning I cannot even get the page loaded to upload my blog entry. I can write it, but as I have been waiting an hour for the page to load (there must be some pretty intense stuff on that page that I just never noticed because of my internet speeds at home) I will just email my entries to myself at home and post them when I get home.

Well it will, at least, keep me from farting away my entire vacation on the internet. (As if that would have happened…) That being said, I suppose I should go and beat the old man at a hand of three of cribbage!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you're having a great day with the people you love!

Don Bergquist - December 22, 2007 - Kensington, Minnesota , USA

No comments: