Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas!

The big day has dawned cold and white!

My brother, his wife, and son arrived at parents’ place yesterday afternoon. Almost immediately Eric and Grandma went outside to decorate the small tree at the end of the drive. (The "Eric Tree.") They have done this every year so that Santa will know where Eric is spending the holiday. It would be a shame if Santa left Eric’s presents at his home in Minneapolis if he isn’t there.

The tree topper was a bit of a quandary this year. The tree has grown too high for Eric or Grandma to reach so they had to conscript Uncle Don to get the topper on. This may be the last year that tree gets a topper!

Christmas Eve was lovely! There was music and games. Eric beat his daddy and his uncle in a game of Monopoly. Everybody beat Uncle Don in card games… and then there was the food!

Granddad made a lovely roast duck! Chip and I pitched in to make the veggies and everyone contributed something to preparing the meal. It was a lovely meal and a great time.

But now it is Christmas Morning. The tree is beckoning me. Were I still a kid (instead of just a child at heart) I would run screaming into my parents’ room: “Santa has been here! Santa has been here!” but because I am now an adult (a-hem) I can restrain myself, if just barely.

We have to wait for everyone to arrive and then we’ll have breakfast and open presents. By lunchtime the floor will be festooned with the detritus left over from the opening of presents. Ah! The holidays!

This afternoon, we’re headed over to the family farm to have lunch with my uncle and his family. I’m sure that will be an experience too!

Wherever you are today, I hope you get to spend the holiday with your family and friends!

Merry Christmas!

Don Bergquist - December 25, 2007 - Kensington, Minnesota, USA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good Christmas, Uncle Don. Sorry to say I sent your present to your old address, so it might not have gotten to you in time. Plenty of love, though! And thanks for the (family) calender: twas funny to see my dad all young and watching Yogi Bear. -Andrew

Unknown said...

Many thanks for your kind wishes, nephew dear!

I did receive your gifts at my home address this morning when I checked my mailbox they were there!

Many thanks!

Uncle Don