Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Boxing Day

What changes a year can bring!

This time last years, Saga and I were having a wonderful time with our friends back in the UK celebrating Boxing Day at the pub. This year, I celebrated Boxing Day by driving from Kensington to Lakewood.

Far from my drive of a week ago, I had no delusions that I could even come close to setting a record. Last night, after checking that the weather reports for the Denver area were continuing to show a deterioration of the weather here, I packed the car, bade my holiday greetings to my parents and went to bed.

When I awoke this morning at 04:30, I made a pot of coffee, took Saga out for a walk and hopped onto the computer to check the weather forecasts. It was not looking good! The prediction was for 50% chance of snow by nightfall.

The little one and I piled into the car and headed off. The roads were good until the Minnesota State Line. It started snowing just after I crossed over into South Dakota. The next six hours would be spent dealing with the fog, ice and snow in South Dakota. There was a spectacular sunrise to be glimpsed through the fog banks, and a few harrowing heart-stopping moments on the ice outside Vermillion, but other than that, nothing too bad.

On crossing the state line into Colorado, I had reports that this morning’s blizzard had left the roads west of Fort Morgan impassably icy and snow-packed. I decided that I would drive as far as I could get before stopping for the night. It was looking good as I got past the point I was told about. I kept seeing traffic coming at me, so I kept going.

Until I got into Denver proper, there was no problem on the road. There were a few slick spots once I got to my neighborhood, but nothing too bad. Saga and I took a walk in the park to shake the road our of our bones and now, completely knackered by the last 18-hours on the road, I am headed off to bed.

Wherever you have spent today, I hope that you have been going places.

Don Bergquist – December 26, 2007 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: