Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Heavy Weather

What a morning to be out on the road!

Or, rather, it would have been had I actually decided to go into the office this morning. Instead, assuming the local meteorologists knew something out the weather that I didn’t, I decided to bring my work laptop home with me last night. I’m glad I did!

When I turned on the TV this morning and did my workout on the treadmill I could see that it was not nice outside. The snow was falling and the lawn outside my office window was a blanket of white cotton candy.

At five o’clock, when the local news replaced the overnight network news, the lead story was how messy the roads were after the snow had fallen all evening. I decided at that moment to stay home. With a cup of coffee and the television making noise in the background, I started my testing. The rush hour was worse than they had suspected. There were over twenty accidents according to the news by five-thirty.

There was also a coal train that derailed in Littleton that knocked the commuter light rail off its tracks. I heard no reports of casualties, so I assume that there were very few people who had made it onto the train by that hour.

When Saga and I went out for our walk at sunup, the snow was up to her knees. The snow kept falling all morning with a bit of a slackening at lunchtime. Saga and I went out to walk around her park at lunchtime and the snow was up to her belly… she really eyed me with a mixture of excitement (she wanted to go out) and misery (it was cold and wet!) as we walked along what was a trail (somewhere down there, under the snow).

As I sit here in my office, just finished my testing for the day, I can see that the snow has started falling again. Saga’s gonna love that! Well, all that snow does look pretty! Sure, it’s cold and wet and tomorrow it will be sloppy, but right now it is so beautiful!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you can see the beauty around you.

Don Bergquist – December 11, 2007 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: