Sunday, March 25, 2012

Travelogue: Australia – Plans Made II


Famous last words: ‘Never Make Plans!’ But what if I am not the one making the plans?


I have decided to try another tack. Instead of my trying to make plans only to have them fall through, this time, I decided to let someone else make the plans – I have booked a flight to Ayers Rock with a stay in a lovely hotel near Uluru and an evening of partying and star-gazing. There is also a morning climb before I have to get back to Canberra.

It was, if the truth be told, pretty easy! I just walked into the travel agency, told the woman at the desk what I wanted, she booked it all and sent me the reservations and all the necessary paperwork. It was a snap.

So this time next week I will be writing from Uluru!

As for this weekend... I rented the car and yesterday did a bunch of the touristy things around the city of Canberra. I didn’t want to venture too far afield this yesterday, mostly because I wanted to get used to driving on the left again before I did any serious highway driving.

So, I went to the capital, the war memorial, the market, and the train museum. I drove around and didn’t do too much that was noteworthy. But I am happy to report that it comes right back. I’d say “like riding a bike” but since I was run off the road a couple times by complete road-hogging wankers when I was riding my bike in London, I think I will omit that phrase!

Wherever you are this morning I hope that your weekend is going well

Don Bergquist – 25 March 2012 – Canberra, ACT, Australia

No comments: