Sunday, March 18, 2012

Travelogue: Australia – Sunday Morning

Perhaps it is a function of getting older, but going out and to a noisy bar where there are scads of twenty-somethings over-indulging, sloshing their drinks on each other, dancing – by which I mean falling over, and generally making total prats of themselves, doesn’t have the allure it once did.


I know that I used to act like that; heck, I know that I still do act like that, given the right venue and company But for some reason, it just wasn’t doing it for me last night. We arrived at the pub around eight and the jostling started around 20:05, as soon as I made my first trip to the bar for a round.

By 20:30, when it started pouring down rain outside, the rowdiness moved inside and a group of young blokes started slam-dancing in the aisles next to our table. Which was, in itself, not bad, but the fact that they kept jostling the table in the act was what really was irksome. Add to that the fact that the noise – which had already been bad enough so as to make conversation impracticable, was now painfully intolerable – made the evening lose the last of its enjoyment. Not that I wasn’t enjoying chatting with my colleagues, but the venue was not conducive to chatting.

I excused myself at 22:15 and announced that I was done for the evening and headed home. Luckily, I was not the only one for whom the evening was wearing on, we left and headed back to the hotel.

Even though the venue tempered the fun, it was a good dinner and the parts of the evening we could chat were nice – heck, even watching the college kids acting like prats was fun, to a point! So, THAT is what St. Paddy’s Day is down here! Nice!

Today I have very few plans. I have a report that I want to work on for the office, and have to do my weekly shop. There is a bit of time for me to take a swim and have a workout, and then I have a LOT of pictures to review from yesterday’s trip out to the bush. Look for those stories starting tomorrow.

Wherever you are this morning I hope that you are having great weekend!

Don Bergquist – 18 March 2012 – Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

No comments: