Friday, March 30, 2012

Travelogue: Australia – Murramarang National Park (Part 5: Perfect Ending!)

This weekend’s side trip is to Murramarang National Park, on Australia’s eastern coast in New South Wales. But all good things come to an end, and the day we were having was no exception.


So, it was time to think about hitting the road back to the Australian Capital Territory. I wanted to get home before we had to worry about driving through the bush in the dark and chance a sudden encounter with a Wombat or a Kangaroo.

But before we headed back inland we had one thing that had to be done. I had to leave my mark on Australia. My colleague looked at me askance, but I had to so something to prove I had been there. I had to go and leave a mark. So, in the fashion of my people, I built a cairn.

I was a bit surprised that I had to explain the concept of a cairn, but I had known about cairns since I was a kid. I built it close enough to the ocean that it would occasionally be washed down, but for the afternoon, there was proof that I was there. I’ve left my mark on Australia. I have been in their census last year, and now I have left a building behind.

That accomplished, we hopped back into the car and headed back to Canberra. We had a pleasant, and thankfully, wildlife-free drive home. It was an excellent side-trip.

Wherever you are this morning I hope that you are still feeling the afterglow of an excellent weekend!

Don Bergquist – 30 March 2012 – Canberra, ACT, Australia





No comments: