Thursday, January 17, 2008

Some Times You Gotta Wonder

Some times I wonder what gets into her head! I know that my friend Kelly warned me that Canaans can be a bit unpredictable, and that they are prone to fits of inexplicable behavior.

Even if she hadn't come right out and warned me about it, I lived with Kelly and her husband (at the time) when they were actively breeding and showing the breed. I saw what a whack-job her dam, Inka, was! Inka would sit in the middle of the room and stare up at a random point in the ceiling for minutes at a time. It was not as if there was anything particularly interesting about the specific bit of the ceiling she would stare at… nothing at least that distinguished that particular bit from any other bit of the ceiling.

Saga has taken it into her head that although she hates the cold and the wet (snow), she absolutely positively, has to go outside every hour on the hour when I am at home.

It is not as if she actually does anything when we go out… She sniffs here and there most of the time, wants to go over to the park and walk around a bit and then run back into the house. Last night, she performed her "I have to go out now! Take me out now or get out the rug shampooer." dance at six, seven, eight, and nine o'clock. The first three times, apparently she just wanted to walk across the street to assure herself that the park was still there.

She didn’t even pretend that she needed to go… she just walked over to the park and once across the street, practically pulled my arm out of its socket trying to get back across the street to get out of the cold.

What a bizarre bitch! But even so, this is probably going to go away as quickly as it came along. She goes through phases. (The last phase was being afraid of a specific chair in the dining room. She would, if she had to walk past it, give it wide berth – staring at it as she passed as if it would reach out and grab her.)

Wherever you are, I hope that you're having a great day!

Don Bergquist – January 17, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: