Sunday, January 06, 2008

Epiphany

Epiphany

e•piph•a•ny (ĭ-pĭf'ə-nē)

n. pl. e•piph•a•nies

1. Epiphany
a. A Christian feast celebrating the manifestation of the divine nature of Jesus to the Gentiles as represented by the Magi.
b. January 6, on which this feast is traditionally observed.
c. A sudden manifestation of the essence or meaning of something.
d. A comprehension or perception of reality by means of a sudden intuitive realization: "I experienced an epiphany, a spiritual flash that would change the way I viewed myself" (Frank Maier).

2. A revelatory manifestation of a divine being.

3.
a. A sudden manifestation of the essence or meaning of something.
b. A comprehension or perception of reality by means of a sudden intuitive realization: "I experienced an epiphany, a spiritual flash that would change the way I viewed myself" (Frank Maier).

[Middle English epiphanie, from Old French, from Late Latin epiphania, from Greek epiphaneia, manifestation, from epiphainesthai, to appear : epi-, forth; see epi- + phainein, phan-, to show; see bhā-1 in Indo-European roots.]

Not only is today the Christian festival of Epiphany, but I have had something of an epiphany myself of late. I’ve had the sudden realization that there are a lot of gullible, obese, lonely people out there.

I don’t say this to be mean, I’m just being observant. Usually, when I am watching television, I pay attention to the program and then use the remote to zip through the commercials. (I seldom watch television live any longer, preferring to use my DVR to delay the broadcast so that I can watch it when I want to. This also gives me the ability to zip through the breaks.)

But last night, there was a show on that I wanted to watch, and having nothing else to do, I decided to watch it live. You may ask why I had this epiphany while watching television, but that would only because you either don’t watch television or don’t pay attention to the breaks either.

Last night, every break had at least one diet plan, one exercise plan, one diet pill, and one website dedicated to making matches for “lonely hearts.” A few of the breaks consisted solely of a combination of the four. I know that weight loss is one of the most frequently made New Year’s Resolutions, but this is the first time I have noticed this advertising abundance…
Ah well!

Wherever you are today, I hope you’re fit, happy, and in love!

Don Bergquist – January 06, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: