Sunday, January 20, 2008

The One And Only Doninator

Oops! Today a correction. A reader calling themself "Revolving Door" posted a comment on yesterday's entry pointing out that I had another nickname whilst I was living in Memphis, Tennessee. Oh, dear! How could I have forgotten!?

My friends in Memphis, well, actually a friend of my roommates in Memphis gave me that nickname well before I had ever even met him. My dear friend and old roommate, Kelly, could give all the details, but as I recall the story went something like this:

JP was a friend of Kelly and Troy’s and they had apparently mentioned me or something to him. He had never met me because at that time in my career I was traveling between 250 and 300 nights a year. So, by luck of the draw, JP and I never met.

Apparently, at one point, JP was questioning whether I actually existed or if I was just a figment of their imaginations. Why and how he came up with “The One And Only Doninator” I do not actually know, but I came home from a trip and heard Kelly refer to me as the Doninator and realized that somehow, I had acquired a nickname. It was one that I wore proudly for years.

Wherever you are today, I hope you have your friends handy!

Don Bergquist – January 20, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, let no one doubt the great generosity of the Doninator. Why, he even sent me a personally-designed calender at the merest request! It now proudly graces my dorm room, and shall keep me up to date with the date for the rest of the year.

Three cheers for the Doninator!

Unknown said...

My dearest nephew:

Always one to oblige! (Within reason… that is!)

I hope that you'll enjoy your calendar and keep an eye on the middle of February… for some reason, the fourteenth, fifteenth, or sixteenth seems to strike a note in the scar-tissue of my old mind as being somehow noteworthy!

Have a great day, Andrew!

Uncle Don