Sunday, July 22, 2007

Molesey Regatta

Yesterday was the annual Regatta at Molesey.

I was first introduced to Molesey Regatta this time last year. It was a fun time (please see my posting of 15 July 2006) and I knew that I would have to make it back here this year for the Regatta even if I had gone home by now.

Well, I'm still here and this year could not be more different than this time last year. Last year we were in the grip of a severe drought and there were hosepipe bans. Afternoon temperatures were hovering around in the low thirties and there was no way I was going to leave on my light cloth summer coat.

This year it is pouring, we have flooding all over the place, and the temperatures struggle to reach into the twenties. The rain could not dampen the spirits of my friends and I. We were determined to have a good time at Regatta regardless.

Once again, Phil and Lucy hosted a wonderful pre-Regatta gathering at their house in East Molesey. We gathered around noon and had a few glasses of fizz while waiting for the cabs that would carry us to the park. The rains started just about the time the first of the cabs was due.

By the time we reached the Lunch Pavilion the rain was falling in earnest. The lunch, the same menu as last year, was very nice and the beverages were shared and enjoyed by all. In the brief breaks in the rain, we went down to the river to watch the races…

This was the winner of the first race. You can see that this guy trained all his life to win a Regatta. You've got to admire such determination. Sure, there were charges that he was taking performance-enhancing feed, but the charges ran off him like water off a duck's back.

A little later on we went back to the river to have another gander. This race was a much closer finish. One person was trying to challenge the finish results, but the judges called the guy a silly goose and told him to drop it.

After enjoying a rainy afternoon at the park, we all headed to Kevin's place for an after-regatta party. We all have a lovely time and I've already got it in my calendar: Third Weekend in July - Molesey Regatta!

I hope that wherever you are today, you're having a wonderful weekend!

Don Bergquist - 22 July 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: