Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Saga

Saga is sitting on the rug at the base of the stairs down into the kitchen. She is really going to town on the rawhide bone I gave her a few minutes ago. It's breakfast time and I am sitting at the island eating my bowl of fruit, cereal, and yogurt and thinking about what a nice morning it would be for a long ride into the office.

The skies are overcast but the wind is dead. The temperatures are still in the mid-fifties so, provided I can get out of here in the next few minutes, I would have a good three-quarters of an hour to ride before I am due at the office. But that would require that I stop sitting here watching Saga gnaw on that bone.

She is just so cute, laying there, trying to get the position on the green-and-beige bone just right so that she can shred it with her molars. When I gave it to her, she stared at it intently, as if trying to suss-out exactly how to best attack the bone. For the past ten minutes, as I was making my cereal and coffee, and as I was getting the counter cleaned-up, she has paid attention to nothing but that bone.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about that… she isn't begging, that's good… but she is not paying attention to anything but that bone either. I tired offering her my yogurt carton (a treat she often attacks as soon as offered) but she had no interest in it today. Today, she has eyes only for that bone.

Repositioning herself and the stick or chlorophyll and pig skin so that she can get its point deep into her mouth for a better chew, she is in her own little world. I guess I may as well get the breakfast dishes into the dishwasher and get on the bike trail. (The only thing I have to figure out is how to get the bike out without disturbing her; she is directly in front of the bike's storage area.) I guess I'll sit here a while longer. She is fun to watch!

Wherever you are today, I hope you have something that can hold your attention.

Don Bergquist - 11 July 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey

No comments: