Tuesday, July 31, 2007

¡Pobrecita!

My poor little one!

Saga is now feeling poorly. It is heart-rending to see her feeling bad! She is suffering a false pregnancy. She'll need caring for with kid-gloves for the next couple days. Yes, "days" not weeks!

You see, I took her to the vet because I had scheduled the appointment before I discovered she was in a false pregnancy. The vet after the exam asked if I wanted to give her a drug to stop the false pregnancy.

"Or are you going to let it run its course?" he asked.

"I have a choice?" I asked incredulously. "In the years that she has lived with me, no vet has ever told me that I had the option! I'd love to save her the trauma of the false pregnancy."

He gave me drops I administer every day. I gave her the first dose when we got back from the vet this afternoon. He said that she should be herself again by the end of the week. It will be good to have her feeling better!

Wherever you are today, I hope you are feeling well.

Don Bergquist - 31 July 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be careful with those drops. The cure is often worse than the disease. Sometimes those actually can cause Pyometria. Sorry.

I'm guessing your using cheques drops (i think that's the spelling)

K

Unknown said...

Hey, Kelly!

No, that's not what the drops are called… they may be the same drug with a different brand name, but I asked the vet about side-affects. He said there was a small risk of them, but he said that the benefits can be wonderful.

The brand name is something different, I have a friend over here who is a vet-tech (or whatever that position is called over here) and she knew what they were the moment I mentioned them. They are supposed to stop lactation and cancel the affects of the false-pregnancy.

I am happy to report that Saga has, in fact, stopped lactating and is much happier! She voluntarily comes out of the kennel when I come home; she is not always crying; and I can get her to go out for a walk with me without whining and worrying the entire time. She is still not her old self, but she is much better!

Thanks for your note!

Don