Monday, July 02, 2007

Reassurance

To : My Family and Friends Back Home
From : Me
Date : 02 July 2007
RE : Reports of Terrorism

Hello all!

To those of you who have called and/or emailed me over the past couple days, I just wanted to drop you a quick note. I am fine. The attack on Scotland was way across the island. It's about the same as me calling my sister while she is in Miami if I hear that there was a shooting in Tallahassee. There is a great deal of distance between Thames Ditton and Glasgow.

As to the two car bombs found Friday, the Metropolitan Police force have the situation well in hand. They are on the ball and have five people in custody; there are more arrests imminent according to the BBC. Besides, I am never in that part of town. And the point of terrorism is to make you worry unduly about going about your daily routine. You change what you do, they win!

To quote a famous comedian over here: Tony Blair (Well, he was actually quoting Catherine Tate, to be fair…) "Look at my face! Do I look bothered to you? Face! Bothered? Face! Bothered? I ain't bothered!"

Wherever you are today, I hope you can say you ain't bothered!

Don Bergquist - 002 July 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

Editor's note: I'm told that the Catherine Tate line is said in an Islington (though I thought it would be oene of London's seedier neighborhoods) accent. "Bothered" comes out sounding like "bovered"

No comments: