Monday, May 21, 2007

Sunrise

This has always been my favorite time of the day. There is just something about the still, quiet hours before people start to stir.

It’s just before 06:30 on Monday, May 21, 2007 and I am sitting on the rear patio of my friend Fritz’ house in St. Petersburg, Florida. The morning is still. Even the cats are still sleeping wherever they dropped last night.

Granted, the only right I have to be up this morning this early is that I am still on British Summer Time. Okay, I am almost always the first one up in the morning, regardless of the group of people you’re likely to compare me to, but we were up quite late last night.

It is a running gag that Fritz is incapable of cooking for a small group (unless by “group” you mean “army” and unless by “small” you mean “incredibly large”) and is further incapable of serving before midnight. Last night was an exception only in the respect that we did eat before midnight. There were loads of food and the feast was fabulous but there was way more than was needed to feed the six of us. Don’t get me wrong; the food was excellent; there was just so much of it. The ‘fridge is full of left-over smoked ribs, mashed potatoes and leeks, spinach and breads that accompanied it all.

After a day of running around to various places and getting ready for the festivities that are to come this week, it was wonderful to relax on the patio and chat as Fritz busied himself at the smoker and in the kitchen. We all tried to assist only to be shooed back to the porch.

This morning, I rolled-over and saw that it was five AM. I tried getting back to sleep, but I needn’t have done so. There was no way it was going to happen. I got dressed, slipped on some sandals, grabbed my cameras and walked around the property taking a few pictures.

That was about an hour ago, I’ve now gotten myself a cup of coffee and am sitting here on the porch watching the sunrise. Later, when everyone wakes up, I’ll upload this and some of the pictures I’ve taken.

This afternoon, we have Charlie’s graduation. Tonight, I suppose that it is a safe bet there will be more celebration, more conversation and need I say more (far too much more) food. Right now, though it is just me, you (by way of my PDA and, eventually, my blog), and this beautiful, still, quiet morning. Ah! Bliss!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you’re having a peaceful, contemplative morning!

Don Bergquist - May 21, 2007 - St. Petersburg, Florida USA

No comments: