Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Drive

Wow! What a difference!

For years while living in the mid-south (Memphis) I used to drive to Florida by way of Birmingham (via US 78) and then down through Montgomery (via I65) down through Dothan (on US 231) and then I10 to I75 south. Back then it made sense… now that all those Podunk towns in Southern Alabama have grown into the path, it no longer does.

I am making excellent time (even with the reduced visibility caused by the fires. It is just after 18:00 and I am stopped in southern Georgia. I am sitting in the air-conditioned comfort of a restaurant having a bite to eat and writing my blog entry.

Since just south of Atlanta, it has been like a thick fog in London. The visibility is less than a hundred yards. The smell of the burning swampland is strong. The traffic, though is moving and I am making excellent time. I should be in Florida soon.

At a guess, I would say that taking the interstate all the way is perhaps fifty miles longer, but the speeds are higher and the travel time seems to be less. Ah! My dinner has arrived! I'd best eat-up and get back on the road.

Wherever you are today, I hope that you're having an excellent day with clear roads!

Don Bergquist - May 26, 2007 - Somewhere near Macon, Georgia, USA

No comments: