Monday, May 28, 2007

Conversation Starter

"I think I should warn you, I tend to vomit on planes." It was a strange way to start a conversation with a complete stranger, but hey! Perhaps that I just me! "Projectile vomiting! It's bad!"

"No doubt." I said. This is going to be one great flight!

As I awaited everyone to get settled, she kept telling all the passengers sitting in the area how she was a bad flyer. "I am also prone to panic attacks." She said. I unfolded my paper and retreated to the galley (one row behind my seat and read out of the way whilst the people in uniform took care of things.

"I once screamed because I was feeling that the people on either side of me were pushing in too close for my comfort." I overheard her say.

Eventually, one of the flight crew found her a seat a few rows ahead of me on the aisle. (Thank God!) She has been passing the night rather sedately. My other seat-mate and I spent a few minutes speculating on the veracity of her claims but marveling at the effectiveness of getting out of her center seat and into an aisle.

I really envy people who can sleep on planes.

Wherever you are today, I hope you're passing the evening calmly and comfortably.

Don Bergquist - 28 May 2007 - Somewhere over the North Atlantic - Continental Airlines Flight 4 bound for London Gatwick

No comments: