Monday, May 14, 2007

Chestnut Sunday

The rain abated for a time. About noon yesterday I made my way down to the park to see the parade. The rain slowed to a heavy mist and then stopped altogether. Walking around the park with my friend before the parade, my feet got completely soaked. The fresh drops of rain on the flowers, offered some interesting shots.

At a quarter after noon, the parade started. The parade starts at the Teddington gate, progresses down and around the Dianna Fountain and ends at the playground by the police station.

The parade was interesting, the first time I saw it, two years ago… yes, the parade is almost identical every year. Still, it is a fun time. (Pictures of the entire parade can be seen at the link above.)

The parade did not end high and dry. The rain held-out until very near the end of the parade. It started to rain in earnest as the military vehicles were coming by. By the time the last of the vehicles came by, it was pouring and there were lightening strokes in the distance.

I made my way to the pub… just to dry off, you understand!

The afternoon passed and I made my way to the barbecue.
Interestingly, we passed a sign advising that fires and barbecues are not allowed in Bushy Park.
Apparently, the police station (by virtue of the fence around it)
is not considered a part of the park and therefore not subject to this prohibition. The barbecue was fun… mates, food, beer, wine! And the weather by this time, had cleared. It was a lovely ending to the afternoon.

I hope wherever you are today, you've had a lovely weekend.

Don Bergquist - 14 May 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, United Kingdom

No comments: